Bhai Dooj 2023: Bhai Dooj is a festival that symbolizes the bond of unbreakable love, sacred relationships and trust. It falls on the second date of Shukla Paksha of Kartik month, which is on Wednesday, 15 November 2023. There is also Atigand and Parakram Yoga on this day and it is also called Yama Dwitiya.
On this day, sisters apply tilak on the forehead of their brothers and pray for their health and longevity. The brothers, in turn, visit their sisters’ houses and eat together.
Story of the first Bhai Dooj (Bhai Dooj Katha):
On the day of Bhai Dooj, Surya’s daughter Yamuna first offered food to her brother Yama and applied tilak on him. Therefore this festival is also known as ‘Yam Dwitiya’. It marks the end of five major festivals and the conclusion of Deepotsav. If someone forgets to light the Yama lamp on Dhanteras, he can light it on Bhai Dooj. Light nine lamps in the evening and pray for blessings from the planets and ask them to illuminate every aspect of life like this light.
Bhai Dooj 2023 Muhurat (Bhai Dooj 2023 Timings):
This year the auspicious time of Bhai Dooj is from 10:30 am to 12:00 noon and from 5:15 pm to 6:15 pm. Celebrating festivals is considered ideal during these times.
Bhai Dooj Puja Vidhi (Rituals of Bhai Dooj Puja):
- While applying Tilak, sit facing the right direction. Sisters should sit facing east and brothers should sit facing north.
- For the health and long life of the brother, sisters should be gifted a green handkerchief or cloth on this day.
- Keep three handfuls of moong, one cardamom, one clove, five Gomti Chakras and some Durva grass in the cloth. Tie three knots in the cloth and then pass it over your brother’s head seven times.
- After waving, keep the cloth in the north-east corner of your house and worship Ganga considering it as Yamuna, Yami as Yamraj and Subhadra as Krishna. Pray for your brother’s well-being and prosperity by chanting the mantra 11 or 21 times.
- Finally, put that cloth in a pot and bury it near a Peepal tree.
- Remember not to wear black clothes on this day.
- Sisters should not eat food before applying tilak to their brother. Instead, have a meal together after the tilak ceremony.
Tilak based on zodiac sign (Bhai Dooj Tilak based on zodiac sign):
For better results, apply tilak according to brother’s zodiac sign:
- Aries: Saffron colored tilak
- Taurus: Add a little turmeric to saffron colored tilak
- Gemini: Red vermillion tilak
- Cancer: Add a little turmeric to saffron colored tilak
- Leo: Saffron colored tilak
- Virgo: Red vermillion tilak
- Libra: Add a little turmeric to saffron colored tilak
- Scorpio: Saffron colored tilak
- Sagittarius: Apply turmeric tilak
- Capricorn: Mix sandalwood in red roli’s tilak.
- Aquarius: Mix sandalwood in red roli’s tilak
- Pisces: Apply turmeric tilak